Saturday, July 31, 2010

High Falls Postscript


My favorite thing about the High Falls “studio” was seeing the Genesee brewery outside, just across the gorge, with its amber buildings, the bright “Genesee” sign, the curious little array of smokestacks and scaffolding.  For my first day or so at High Falls, I was walking around with the Chinchillas' Genesee Beer song continually (and cheerfully) popping into my head.  I might even have been humming it when no one was around.



I’ve always liked the falls and the brewery – the “beer factory” as some people living nearby call it – but I only had a sightseer’s superficial acquaintance with them.  Being on site for two long days, I felt my relationship with that part of the city taking a big step forward.  In a strange and pleasant way, I became a part of the whole scene. 
 
Usually on tour I do all the paintings I can while staying at a given place but don't do any more paintings from that location after I leave.  That’s partly to avoid getting too drained – the 2-3 days takes a lot out of me – and partly because there's always the next stop, and my focus moves on.  With a local tour, that changes a little. 

So my High Falls work didn't feel complete until I'd done a more careful study of the Genesee Beer sign, something from the railroad tracks where I’d walked on my last evening, and a finished painting of the falls.  The last will have to wait, but shortly after getting home from High Falls I painted the first two. 



 Here’s the Amtrack station at dusk. This improbably rural-looking scene is in the heart of downtown.  The buildings, lights, cars, and noise are abundantly present, just outside the frame.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the song plug, Jim.

Pranayama mama said...

and now i'm singing the genesee beer song! gorgeous painting. want to add that to our collection, as well! :)

Yeah baby said...

Love the way you capture the light, Jim. I've been to this site many times to view the regular freights, the massive waterfall as the Genesee tumbles over the Niagara escarpment, and the red Genesee sign that looms over the gorge like a sentinel.